Port Jefferson and Riverhead
Michael J. Fracchia is a Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon practicing in Port Jefferson & Riverhead. He completed Medical School at Georgetown University School of Medicine in 1984, Internship at North Shore University Hospital in 1985, and his Orthopaedic Surgical Residency at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center in New York City in 1989.
He provides complete, comprehensive, and state-of-the-art orthopaedic care, including Total Joint replacements, Sports Medicine, and Fracture Care for all ages. He believes that although there is a place for surgery, many patients can be treated non-operatively with casting or bracing, physical therapy, medications either orally or injected, or even just time. He has helped thousands of patients return to normal, fun filled, and active lives through operative and non-operative management of their orthopaedic problems.
Dr. Fracchia merged with Dr. Legouri in 1998, and together they founded Long Island Bone and Joint. He has been its President since inception. His practice is limited to Orthopaedic Surgery, and has privileges at J.T. Mather Hospital; St. Charles Hospital & Rehabilitation Center, and Southampton Hospital.
Some points of interest include:
- Board Certified in Orthopaedic Surgery since 1991
- Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Director, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, J. T. Mather Memorial Hospital
- Attending, St. Charles Hospital & Rehabilitation Center
- Courtesy Attending, Southampton Hospital
- Director of Surgical Education for Aesculap Implant Systems
- Co-authored Aesculap’s surgical technique manual for the use of Computer Navigation in the Implantation of the Columbus Total Knee Prosthesis
- The Medical Society of The State of New York Suffolk County Medical Society
- Honored by Hofstra University & Long Island Business New as a HEALTHCARE HERO, 2008
- Honored as recipient of J.T. Mather Theodore Roosevelt Award, 2009
- Graduated ‘Cum Laude’ with a degree in Chemical Engineering from Clarkson University in 1980.
- Designed smaller knee implants & revision knee implants
- Improved navigation software
- Designed surgical instruments
Dr. Fracchia preformed a LIVE telecast of a Total Knee Replacement done through a small, quad sparing incision with the aid of Computer Navigation that was televised from St. Charles Hospital to the “MIS meets CAOS” meeting in Arizona. He is considered one of the world leaders in the technique of ‘navigated soft tissue ligament balancing’ during knee replacement surgery, and co-authored the operative technique for the Minimally Invasive Navigated Columbus Total Knee Arthroplasty. He has presented this technique and taught thousands of surgeons in 17 states, Europe, and South America. His instructional video for surgeon training has taught countless others.
Dr. Fracchia designed and wrote much of Mather Hospital’s Total Joint seminar, as well as Pre-op, Intra-op, and Post-op protocols. This seminar is run bimonthly throughout Suffolk County, and has helped thousands of people understand the complexities of arthritis and their treatment options.
STATE-OF-THE-ART: He uses Computer Navigation for Arthroscopically Aided Anterior Circulate Ligament Reconstructions. Some patients are candidates for the DAA (Direct Anterior Approach) for Total Hip Replacement, which DR. Fracchia uses and teaches. Most knee & shoulder surgery is performed arthroscopically, and can be done with minimal incisions, faster rehabilitation and earlier return to sports & work.
Dr. Fracchia believes in the compassionate care of all patients. He strives to treat them as unique individuals. He tries to relieve their pain and discomfort quickly and completely, as they return to all the activities they enjoy.
Dr. Fracchia's Participating Insurance Plans:
- BlueCross BlueShield (excluding HealthPlus)
- Cigna PPO, EPO and Indemnity
- Empire NYSHIP
- Island Group
- No Fault
- Oxford Freedom & Liberty
- United Healthcare (excluding Community Plan)
- Worker Compensation
If your plan is not listed please contact the office to verify participation. If the physician is out-of-network we will provide an estimate of cost upon request. Provider participation may vary from one provider to the other. Each provider's eligibility is listed at the bottom of his/her profile.